Does Rice Water Grow Hair? The Science Behind This Natural Hair-Care Method
When it comes to hair-care methods, there are a ton of natural remedies that people swear by. One such remedy is using rice water to grow healthier hair and a lot of other beauty benefits.
But does rice water really help hair growth?
And if so, how does it work? It turns out the cosmetic science behind this natural remedy is pretty interesting. Keep reading to learn more.
What is rice water?
Rice water is the starchy water left over after washing rice which includes rice starch. This opaque, milky-colored liquid contains vitamins, minerals and amino acids that are great for long hair growth. It's a natural cleansing and conditioning agent that has been used for centuries in Asia for the cure of hair fall and skincare.
Why is it used as a natural hair-care method?
Rice water is used as a natural hair-care method because it helps to strengthen hair, promote hair growth, stimulate hair growth, prevent hair loss and healthy hair begins to grow after its use. It does this by promoting circulation to the scalp environment, which encourages healthy hair growth even for low porosity hair.
Additionally, rice water is high in antioxidants and B vitamins, both of which are essential for healthy hair. It increases hair elasticity and reduces surface friction.
How do I use rice water as a natural hair-care method?
There are several ways that you can use rice water: You could drink it daily (one cup per day), shampoo with it once every other day, conditioner once a week or twice a week. The most common way of using rice water is by drinking it daily. Arsenic in rice may be a concern for those who eat rice daily, using rice water only 1-2 times a week has no side effects.
You can also apply the leftover liquid directly onto your scalp and hair after washing them with shampoo and conditioner. This will help to nourish those strands even more!
Does rice water really help to grow hair?
Yes, rice water does help to grow hair. It is rich in nutrients and vitamins, which help to strengthen the hair while promoting growth. It is also high in vitamins and minerals that are essential for healthy hair growth, including antioxidants and B vitamins. After using rice water treatments, you'll notice how thick and strong your hair feels.
Additionally, rice water helps to promote blood flow within the scalp and in turn, healthy hair grows.
What does the research say?
There are a few studies that suggest rice water might be effective and promotes hair growth. For example, one study found that rice water (or Yu-Su-Ru) helped to increase the length and thickness of hair.
Ingesting rice water may also help to increase the length and thickness of hair. So, it seems that using wild rice water as a natural hair-care method does help to grow hair!
In China, Yao women said that using rice water keeps their hair color for longer and they do not get gray hair until their 80s.
How does rice water work?
Rice water contains carbohydrates and vitamins B, C, E which all nourish your hair. It also has inositol — a carbohydrate that helps repair damaged hair follicles of any hair type. You can use rice water for hair rinse after you’ve washed your strands with shampoo or conditioner to give them an extra boost of hydration and shine!
Benefits of using rice water for hair
Potential benefits of using rice water for hair include:
1. Promotes growth of hair results and hair health.
2. Strengthens hair
3. Prevents hair loss
5. Helps repair damaged hair follicles
6. Turns dry and dull color-treated hair to healthier hair
7. Rice water rinse gives you locks that you'll love
Risks and side effects associated with using rice water on your hair
There are a few risks and side effects associated with using rice water. Some common side effects are:
- Frizzy and brittle hair
- Pungent or sour smell
- Dry scalp or dull hair
- Prevent other nutrients from being absorbed in hair follicles
- Frequent use can damage the hair texture
How do you make rice water at home? (rice water recipes)
One can use any soaking method from the following to make rice water at home:
Boiled version (boiling method)
1. Rice (any type)
1. Add one cup of rice to two cups of water in a pot.
2. Bring to a boil over medium heat, then reduce the heat of boiling water and simmer for 20 minutes (don't use the cooking rice water).
3. Store rice water in a jar or other container and let it cool completely.
Fermented version(ferment rice water):
1. Rice grains (any type)
2. Water (filtered)
1. Add one cup of rice to four cups of water in a bowl.
2. Cover the mixture and let rice water sit at room temperature for two days.
3. Strain the mixture into a jar or other container and let it cool completely.
4. Refrigerate the rice water and use it within one week.
1. Rice (any type)
2. Water (filtered)
1. Add one cup of rice to two cups of water in a bowl.
2. Let the mixture sit for 30 minutes, then put strained rice into a jar or other container and let it cool completely.
3. Refrigerate the rice water and use it within one week.
Can you leave rice water in your hair?
Yes, you can leave rice water in your hair overnight. Just make sure that you apply enough of it so that it covers all the strands on your head and then put a shower cap overtop before going to bed! Then after waking up, wash your hair gently.
How long does rice water take to grow hair?
There is no definitive answer to this question. Results may vary depending on different hair types, the condition of hairs, and how often rice water is used as a hair treatment. Generally speaking, using brown rice water for hair growth will take time and patience. The best thing to do is stick with it and see if you notice any positive results over time!
Best ways to use rice water for natural hair growth and maintenance
Here are five of the best ways to use rice water for the natural growth of hair and maintenance:
1. As a rinse after shampooing: Pour one cup of rice water over your head. Massage into your scalp and let sit for five minutes before rinsing out.
2. As a conditioner: Mix one cup of rice water with two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar. Rinse your hair thoroughly and then pour the mixture over your head. Do hair massage and let it sit for five minutes before rinsing out."
3. As a leave-in conditioner: Mix one cup of rice water with two tablespoons of coconut oil or argan oil (or both). Apply to damp or dry hair as needed throughout the day, avoiding contact with eyes and other mucus membranes like nose & mouth if possible in case they become irritated by direct application onto skin surfaces due to their sensitive nature (if irritation occurs after all precautions have been taken please consult a board-certified dermatologist immediately).
4. As a deep conditioner: Mix one cup of rice water with two tablespoons of honey. Apply to damp or dry clean hair, cover with a shower cap, and let sit for 30 minutes before rinsing out.
5. As a pre-shampoo treatment: Mix one cup of rice water with two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar. Apply to wet hair, cover with a shower cap, and let sit for 15 minutes before shampooing as usual.
Tips for using rice water rinse on your hair
Here are some tips for using rice water on your hair:
1. Use filtered or purified water to make sure that there aren’t any impurities in the rice water that could potentially harm your hair.
2. Only use rice water that has been cooled completely, as warm water can damage your hair.
3. After washing your hair, rub rice water into the hair and allow it to sit for 5 to 10 minutes
4. If you have dry or damaged hair, try using a combination of rice water and other natural ingredients like coconut oil, honey or other essential oils to get the best hair growth results. Reduce surface friction by massaging gently otherwise you may damage the hair cuticle.
5. Make sure to apply enough rice water to cover all of your hair strands, especially if you’re leaving it in overnight.
6. Don’t forget to rinse thoroughly after using it as a treatment! Otherwise, it could lead to scalp odor or acne breakouts.
7. Try boiling the rice water with rosemary, mint leaves, orange peel and fleece flower roots. This will help give you results more quickly.
Can you spray rice water on your hair daily?
Yes, you can spray rice water on your hair every day.
The key is to not use too much of it! Use a glass bottle and mix with water to dilute the concentration so that you can spray it all over your hair without saturating or dripping down onto other parts of your body. You can also use a spray bottle to apply it as a leave-in conditioner.
What are some alternatives?
If you want to try other hair care products, here are some great alternative natural ingredients that could help with healthy hair growth: coconut milk; castor oil and olive oil (essential oil); avocado mashed up into a paste or used as an ingredient in homemade masks/conditioners; a few drops of olive oil mix with lemon juice; chamomile tea (brewed, then cooled and used as a final rinse).
In short, rice water is a great natural ingredient to use for the growth and maintenance of your hair. It can be used as a rinse after shampooing, conditioner, leave-in conditioner, deep conditioner, or pre-shampoo treatment.
There are endless possibilities when it comes to using rice water on your hair. So, set a hair care routine, be creative and find the method that works best for you!
The information on mynoophoric.com is for informational, educational and entertainment purposes only and is not intended to be medical advice. Readers should not rely on this information as advice to make health decisions. Noophoric is not responsible for any possible health consequences from any person following information that is presented on this website. Readers should consult with their physician before making changes to diet, nutrition, supplementation, medication or lifestyle.
Our editors have independently chosen the products listed on this page. If you purchase something mentioned in this article, we may earn a small commission.